People consider this model the best drill press from WEN thanks to its variable speed capability.
The WEN 4214 is versatile enough to power through a range of materials.
The drill press offers the same torque and power through its entire speed range.
The machine ships with the essential drill press accessories for optimal usage.
The worktable is designed for handling tricky applications.
One of the WEN 4214 variable speed drill press reviews gripes about the spring-loaded pin on the end of the chuck key that prevents the user from leaving the key in the chuck accidentally. For the said user, the component only makes it difficult to tighten the chuck well.
Main features explained
- If you want the best variable speed drill press, the WEN 4214 should be on top of your list. This variable drill press is engineered with features that you generally find in industrial-type devices. The bench-top drill press is geared with variable speed that enables you to work in the precise level you need for the specific project. Choose the speed anywhere from 580 to 3,200 rpm, based on what’s suitable for the demands of the application.
- Built with a laser centering device, the WEN 4214 can drill through a range of materials including metal, wood and others. With its maximum drilling capacity of 5/8 inch in 1-inch thick cast iron, the WEN 4214 boasts mechanical variable speed built to be delivered via its rigid frame of cast iron, with the head, table and base working together to deliver accurate hole drilling. Outfitted with a robust induction motor, the drill press engine comes with ball bearings that ensure long life, with everything coming together to deliver balanced, flawless performance even at high speeds. Make full use of the 5/8-inch chuck that accommodates a variety of bits and is built with onboard chuck key storage.
- Adjusting the speed is facilitated with a simple movement of a lever while working, which means no belts or pulleys to replace. You get consistent power and torque across the full speed range of this powerhouse tool. The running speed can be viewed via the LED digital display.
- A versatile and valuable workshop tool, the WEN 4214 is built with a worktable on which the stock is supported. The predrilled holes on the strong, stable base enable mounting onto a work stand or bench. The machine comes with a depth gauge plus a retraction stop and depth stop for repeated hole drilling. The table roller moves and adjusts effortlessly. The fence is perfect for executing versatile applications. The cord is flexible and matches the motor perfectly. The laser enables precision drilling. Red safety glasses also come in the package. The drill press isn’t built with any plastic components other than the switch, handle knobs and LCD or front panel, while everything else is metal.
- The beveling worktable rotates 45 degrees left and right to enable accurate angled drilling. It is designed with slots to enable mounting of vises and clamps to hold the work piece, for secure placement every time.
The WEN 4214 variable drill press has all the features that distinguish industrial-duty machines but without the hefty price tag and size. The drill press comes with mechanical variable speeds that enable you to drill to precise specifications, even repeatedly. Made of strong cast iron, the machine has a strong and flat base, a versatile rotatable work table, an X-pattern laser that locks onto your drill point, and the capability to drill through a variety of materials.